Translate

Wednesday 13 March 2013

All about me

So there might be some of you who don't know who I am. "But who is this debonair, excellently spoken young man with an extraordinary grasp of grammar and a fabulous plan to travel?

A man of wealth an taste, indeed (soure: Facebook)

Well let me tell you who I am!


My name is Jon Oxtoby, known as Jon the Scone to my friends, and indeed to anyone who sees me from the back when I am wearing any one of my university hoodies with the name plastered across the back. I am a resident of Maidenhead, Berkshire, UK. Some other famous people call Maidenhead their home, too:

Pictured: Blending in perfectly
Add caption
 


Source
                                     I was raised in Maidenhead with a younger sister and older brother, and managed to do quite a good job of surviving my teenage years as a nerdy bookworm who was one of the only people in the class who actually understood Geoffrey Chaucer's The Knight's Tale, until I went off to university in Leeds, Yorkshire, to study English Literature.



I was quite a fan of the books from a young age.


Through my school and university careers I managed to have quite an interesting selection of jobs, including carpet cleaning in an old person's home, running an ice cream kiosk near a lock on the River Thames, a week's work experience at Legoland, and the obligatory year or so as a barman in a dingy pub in Leeds. I was also lucky enough to have some brilliant experiences at university running societies, singing in an A Cappella Choir (and leading it, as you can see here), getting the bug for travelling and, of course, becoming a Scout leader.
Two years after graduation, with three months living in Switzerland under my belt and a marginal reduction in geekiness, I am now a twenty-three year old marketing coordinator for the Pilot Pen Company, interested in  snowboarding, hiking, (still) reading and, of course Scouting. I'm currently ESL (Young Leaders) for Maidenhead district, meaning that I oversee the training and placing and welfare of all the Young Leaders (Explorer Scouts aged 14-18 who help out in other sections) in the Maidenhead area.

It's my serious attitude that earns their respect
I am leaving my current job to go on this adventure, so when I get back I will not only have to readjust to Greenwich Mean Time, tea time and good old British accents, I will also have to try and work out what I'm going to do next with my life! All suggestions are welcome, especially ones that mean I can move out of my parents' house, where I have been since January. Surprisingly, living at home has meant that I have become a lot closer with the cat, who used to be one of the grumpiest animals I knew (especially when my parents got a dog) but has recently started wanting to hang out in the mornings, evenings, and especially at 3am when he gets in from wherever it is that cats go late at night.

If the maps are anything to go by, he goes quite some distance late at night!
So that, in a nutshell, is me! I hope this has helped, and if you are still wondering about what I am doing then keep checking the blog and the Facebook page. I also have a Twitter Feed which you can check for updates about the trip, and other tidbits about cats, bowler hats, and anything else that interests me!

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to have a bit of context Scone! Have a brilliant time, I'll be following your blog, FB page and Twitter, sounds like it's going to be quite a hilarious journey seeing as you're involved ;-) Katherine

    ReplyDelete